Friday 8 April 2011

Failing to Prepare

Ah, that old chestnut.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

We’ve all heard that line at one time or another.

Incidentally, I once worked for a boss that talked so much clichéd rubbish, undercover games of business speak bingo would often be played. If only they’d known the real excitement generated by the prospect of a spot of blue sky thinking. I never did see the family of ducks he spoke of, but I hear they were the most disaplinned in that part of London, what with all that standing in rows they would be made to do.

The failure to prepare line is an important one though. Put simply, don’t have everything done before hand that you need to and you’re more likely to bollocks it up on the day.

This stuffing it up avoidance exercise really began that Thursday night in November when my name came out of the Stragglers marathon draw. Since then this blog has followed the implementation of operation ‘get to the start line in one piece’.

As M Day gets closer, ensuring I have the best chance to complete the distance in the best way possible requires attention to detail that doesn’t just involve a race strategy.

In January I stumbled across an article on the Runner’s World website, titled ‘Your First Marathon: Words From the Wise’. It seems like only yesterday I was reading it thinking “there’s a few things in here worth keeping in mind”. With just over a week to go, I’ve just revisited it, and am using a few of the suggestions in my to do list for the next week.

There is a balance to be struck between being prepared and not going over the top with thinking about things every minute of the day. How that balance is reached depends on the personality of the individual involved. Me, I like to make sure I’ve got everything I need, but have every intention of approaching this in the laid-back way I do everything else – why change now?

Over the next week I’ll post updates on where my preparation is at.

The tapering process is very much underway – this is where the intensity of the running is significantly decreased to allow for the body to be absolutely ready to go come M day.

The last physio appointment has been attended; the tight left calf is all fine now.

Travel arrangements have been planned for the day, we know of a coach going into London that will save on having to squeeze onto a train out of Waterloo East.

I know which shorts and T-shirt I’ll be wearing, which socks I won’t be and even ruled out pants which I think might be uncomfortable.

The guide band situation is sorted. I wrote in an earlier post that I have a favoured one which I always use in races. I use sweat bandannas with a knot tied in the middle, thus creating two loops. One band has a slightly smaller loop on one side, and I have to have that one in races. Very child comfort rag of me I know.

I’ve worked out which gels I plan to use during the race, Powerbar Blackcurrant, and have those already bought. I also know what I plan to eat for breakfast next Sunday.

I’m already making a list of things to put in my kitbag, and will post this here next week.

Lastly, I’ve already thought about the Monday following the race. Do Pizza Hut still do that all you can eat at lunchtime thing? I’ve also hassled a couple of people about possible afternoon drinking, like I say, failure to prepare…

No comments:

Post a Comment