Thursday 3 March 2011

Let Me Take You by the, erm, Sweatband, and Guide You Through the Streets of London

Before I crack on with this entry,
can I suggest you take a look at this post, where I describe guide running, how it works and what it’s like from the point of view of a blind runner.

Also, if once you've read the article below you feel in any way inspired, Joggingbuddy.com have teamed up with British Blind Sport to offer a way of putting guides and blind runners in touch with each other.

The one thing I’ve not done yet is consider what guiding is like for those with the not inconsiderable responsibility of being in control. Of course, I can’t speak from first hand experience, but I know three blokes that can.

During my time with the Stragglers I’ve raced with five people, and am using three to help with training for my London Marathon debut.

The person I probably run with the most is also called Simon. There was a time when we ran together so much that other club members would find it odd to see me with someone else, or Simon on his own. The others whose thoughts I’ve sought for this article are Andrew and Jim.

As well as sharing names, Simon and I are also the most similar in running styles. Especially over shorter distances such as 5 or 10K, our approach is to start hard, give it everything we’ve got and hope for the best in the closing stages.

Andrew on the other hand will start more conservatively, even over 5K. This tactic is something I’ve tried hard to learn from him for longer races. He ran Wokingham with me recently, and of the thirteen miles, the first was the slowest, meaning I had plenty left in the tank for the closing stages.

It’s worth stressing none of my partners impose their running style on me, if I start too hard and blow up that’s my problem, however you don’t run regularly with someone and not learn from their experience.

Jim is the man for a speed session, and the one that pushes me the most. If I announce my objective for an interval session is eight repetitions, he’ll want to know why it’s not ten. He’s also the one most likely to tell me if he thinks I’m not running as well as I should, but equally will reward with praise in bundles if he feels it’s deserved.

To some blind runners, the guide is merely providing a service, but I’ve always thought of them as training partners who just happen to be making sure I don’t have any accidents, a view that Simon, Andrew and Jim all acknowledge is a great benefit to both runner and guide.

As Andrew says, “it has given me another regular running partner, especially because you have been training for a marathon at the same time as me.” Andrew is running the Brighton Marathon one week before London.

“Guiding has definitely benefited my own running. First, it puts a commitment in the diary which I would be reluctant to break. Secondly, it encourages me to keep fit. It is necessary to be about 30 seconds per mile quicker than a blind runner. This is because we then don't need to think about our own pace too much and can concentrate on guiding.”

Jim’s version of the same point is to say, “it gets me off my butt and out running, as I have a commitment to honour when on occasions I may not have bothered. So it’s definitely very positive.”

There are those within the club that have suggested Simon’s benefit has been a significant one physically. Having had a lengthy lay off due to a serious knee injury a few years ago, the fact that not every run he does is at the higher tempo that comes naturally to him, may well have contributed to protecting against any relapse. He’s not had so much as a niggle in the two and a half years I’ve known him.

As Simon is my most regular running partner, it is natural that he gets the most questions from other runners. He rather modestly claims “if I can do it, anyone can”. Actually, it’s this kind of laid back approach which makes someone good guide runner material.

“I do not think guiding is very different from running normally. I find that when I run on my own I can switch off and think of things other than running, but still manage to look out for potential hazards. I think the same applies to guiding. We often chat about stuff whilst running but subconsciously are still looking out for potential dangers. Who said men can’t multi-task?!

“The main difference I think (between guiding and running unattached) is of a technical nature. For example the arm that is holding the band is restricted in movement. When running on my own it helps to pump the arms to generate momentum, particularly running uphill. This is not so easy when guiding. Apart from that I have found that running as a guide has the same natural feeling as running on my own.”

The message we all try to get across when asked about the guide running experience is that there’s far less to it than people might, not unreasonably, think.

Jim points out, “a sighted person anticipates that there will be all sorts of problems to overcome that simply do not exist. One might imagine that the blind runner needs to know about all kinds of things related to the surface, surroundings or characteristics of the course to enable them to run free, when in reality you seem to need little more than being told when to go, keeping up with you and advising when a turn is required.”

Whereas Simon and Andrew only have their experiences of running with me to call upon when asked about guiding, Jim has run with, and watched close up, other blind people in action.

“An old friend of mine, Mike Peters, used to guide Britain’s greatest ever blind runner Rob Matthews, until Rob emigrated to New Zealand. They had quite a successful time together at the Sydney Paralympics, 10,000m (Gold), 5000m (Silver) and marathon (Silver). I remember running behind them in the London Marathon one year, until I got dropped, and the whole process of guiding seemed effortless. It has to be said that they were running a fair pace which meant there was plenty of space around them, and Mike was very direct and assertive in his communication which seemed to be the key with all the noise going on.”

Incidentally, Rob Matthews comes up in conversations with Jim a lot, usually when I’m trying to justify why I want to do eight reps rather than ten, or am generally feeling tired and want to go home. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been asked “but what would Rob Matthews do at this point?”

“I couldn’t give a stuff,” is usually my reply, perhaps replacing “stuff” with something stronger.

In addition to having confidence in your own ability to enable that assertiveness, what other advice do all three offer for potential guide runners?

As well as claiming anyone can do it if he can, Simon recalls our first time running together.

“We had a five minute practice within the safe surroundings of the Hawker Centre car park (where the Stragglers are based), before venturing out onto the mean streets of Ham. Before I knew it we were speeding along negotiating kerbs, lampposts and road humps without any difficulty. I also remember one of the first things you said to me was if you feel there is any chance of an accident, just grab my arm and stop. Simple advice I know but reassuring to me. Before hand I was slightly apprehensive because I had not guided anyone before, and was obviously keen not to mess it up or fall over in a heap! That said I had seen other blind runners take part in races and clearly it something that can be achieved and looks fun. So although a little nervous I was also looking forward to giving it a go.”

Similarly to Simon’s recollection of laps of a car park, Andrew suggests “choose a relatively easy stretch to run for the first time, such as a wide path or road in a park, rather than a crowded urban route with pedestrians and lampposts. Talk to your runner first, to see how much commentary they want or need, probably less than you expect, and relax and enjoy the run - it is very rewarding.

“Finally, I should just say that the double band figure of 8 is a wonderful invention!”

This is in reference to the sweat band, with a knot in the middle to create two loops, which I use to join myself with the guide.

Andrew continues, “anything smaller, and the runners would be a bit close together. Anything larger, and it would not be responsive to changes of direction. You mentioned that some guides hold the elbow of a blind runner, that must be really difficult.”

And, by way of proving a point, Jim’s thoughts are along the same lines.

“Just chill out and enjoy the experience. Take the cue from the blind runner regarding how they want to operate and then go with the flow. Make sure that you’re at least half a minute per mile quicker than the blind runner as things are a lot harder when you’re running close to the red-line.”

It can be even worse for the guide if the person they're running with is faster than they. In the first couple of months with the Stragglers I experimented with any willing volunteer, one of which described the experience as being like taking an excitable dog for a walk.

In helping me write this article, Simon, Andrew and Jim have all related comments to experiences they have had with me, most of which have been very complimentary. I have deliberately left many of these out, since the purpose of my writing this was to give a general overview of what guiding is like in the hope more might be tempted to give it a go, rather than a beginners lesson in what to do when attached to me. I believe that blind runners have a responsibility to make the experience for the guide as easy and enjoyable as possible, on a selfish note I’d be stuck without them. The wider point is that people are more likely to offer to help if they know it'll be fun, as well as being confident they can make a difference, or at least not screw things up.

The issue of confidence people with disabilities have, and the contributing factors to the level there of, is one which can be written about until the end of time. For some, just being given the chance to run at all will have invaluable benefits, be they physical or in terms of wellbeing. However at the sharp end, or certainly where running is done for the competitive thrill of taking on a significant challenge, Jim feels self belief on the part of the runner can make a massive difference to the guide.

“A confident blind runner like yourself is relaxed and hence responsive to the smallest adjustment or instruction, and this makes it very easy to lead. If someone is hesitant, then the experience could be anything but enjoyable.”

Simon too believes it certainly helps that I am relaxed about the whole experience. “You are clearly confident with your own ability and appear to have faith in us. I have noticed that if you do happen to trip your recovery is very impressive, I suspect much better than us sighted runners. You have probably developed this skill through necessity! I do not want to tempt fate but thankfully your ability to recover from a stumble has not been called upon too often! Guiding is great fun, as you have said, in previous posts, you are never lonely! The banter is great and gives us a chance to put the world right, or at least Brentford’s promotion chances! On a serious note guiding is also a very rewarding experience, particularly when a run comes together.”

So, as I said at the top, if having read this you do think you’d fancy giving this a try, a good first point of contact is British Blind Sport. The charity has an article on its website here, referencing a partnership between BBS and joggingbuddy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment