Thursday 31 March 2011

Running Music: Lemonheads 'Outdoor Type'

See the full list here.

Next up:

Lemonheads ‘Outdoor Type’

This song didn’t appear on my original list of 20 when I started writing this section of the blog. It was a late substitution after I’d referred to it in the first music post.

One of the reasons for writing about music alongside the other aspects of the marathon build up, is the role I think it can play in race preparation, be that to motivate, calm nerves, take your mind off what you’re about to do or just because of some daft superstition.

During my brief flirtation with acting, before each night of one production, I wouldn’t leave the house until I’d listened to what were my favourite two songs at the time, one of which being this track from the Lemonheads’ ‘Car Button Cloth’ album. If you’re about to do something which will make you nervous or where relaxation is vital, including a short bit of music-based, mind focusing time during your preparation means you’re more likely to be in control when it comes to the big moment, whatever that might be.

Essentially this is letting the brain escape into another world, allowing for relaxation of both body and mind. Books are another option, when on the way to job interviews in the past, I’ve decided my time on the tube has been better spent in the company of an audio book, rather than thinking about the answers I might give to questions I’ve no idea if I’ll be asked. I’m in no position to do any last minute research under Central London, so I may as well think about something else.

The title of this song, ‘Outdoor Type’, is very appropriate. If you’re not then you’re going to find the months of training even more tough than the average. It’s clear the character in this song is the last person you’d find running, unlike the unfortunate other half in the relationship who appears to be finding out their new love ain’t quite what they thought they were.

“I’ve never slept out underneath the stars,
The closest that I came to that was one time my car,
Broke down for an hour in the suburbs at night,
I lied about being the outdoor type.”

Any music festival regulars have met someone like this who is clearly only there because it’s the cool thing to do.

I also like these lines:

“I can’t go away with you on a rock climbing weekend,
What if something’s on TV and it’s never shown again?”

I’m sure if we thought about it we all know someone like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment