Sunday 2 January 2011

Running Music: The Clash 'London Calling'

I don’t like the idea of running to music.

It can be very frustrating in races when you’re trying to get past someone and they can’t hear you’re coming because they’ve got headphones in. Plus, I always think you miss out on the atmosphere of the day, there’s people standing in the cold encouraging you and you can’t hear them because you’re listening to something else.

I also think it’s counter productive for your own performance. It’s very easy to be lead by the beat of the music you’re listening to, and therefore run at a tempo which isn’t suitable.

Listening to music in the gym is different. Unless you’re creative and include hills and sprints when setting up, running on a treadmill is desperately dull. Also, most gyms play music and I can guarantee it’ll be shit, therefore taking your own helps your sanity.

The one time I made a gym playlist it featured Pearl Jam, the Pixies, Flaming Lips, Green Day, Feeder, Depeche Mode, Arctic Monkeys and Goldfrapp, infinitely better than the tuneless, thumpy dance music my leisure centre of choice was offering: blimey what a grumpy old man I sound!

Using music to motivate, calm nerves, take your mind off what you’re about to do or just because of some daft superstition is fine in my book. I remember, during my brief flirtation with acting, before each night of one production, I wouldn’t leave the house until I’d listened to what were my favourite two songs at the time,
Sheryl Crow ‘Change’ and the wonderful
‘Outdoor Type’ by the Lemonheads. If you’re about to do something which will make you nervous or where relaxation is vital, including a short bit of music time during your preparation means you’re more likely to be in control of your emotions when it comes to the big moment, whatever that might be.

Although I don’t run to music, I often get songs stuck in my head. Usually when I’m tired, and I can pretty much guarantee it’ll be a song I don’t like.

With this in mind, and because I thought it would make for an interesting addition to this blog, I’ve come up with a twenty song, London Marathon playlist.

When I first thought about doing this I had planned to post one song per week, but there’s less than twenty weeks to go until London so that won’t work. You’ll get one per week, until the last week when I may have to post one per day, or something.

Most of the songs I’ve picked have ‘run’ in the title, with a few exceptions, not least, the rather obvious first choice.

The Clash ‘London Calling’

Taken from the album of the same name, released in the year I was born (1979), this song has become something of a London signature tune, despite its lyrics not entirely reflecting the Capital in a great light.

Concerns over social violence and the risk that if the Thames might burst its banks then Central London would flood are prominent, as is reference to world events such as the Three Mile Island nuclear accident earlier that year.

The video shows the band performing the song on a boat, on a rainy winter night, very appropriate for marathon runners.

The song has been critically acclaimed as the band’s finest moment, obviously these statements are their to be argued. We can be certain of hearing it a lot during the 2012 Olympics, and it’s as good a way as any of starting this part of my marathon blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment